This competency area requires the nurse practitioner to analyze data and translate research and other forms of knowledge to improve practice practices in healthcare (Thomas et al., 2017). Throughout the course, I have managed engage in research for evidence-based practices to improve quality outcomes. The course has improved my knowledge on clinical practice guidelines and understanding of culturally competent care that evidently improves patient care. During my practice as a nurse practitioner, I will engage in more research to come up with evidence-based approaches to improve quality of patient care.
Under this competency, the nurse leader assumes complex and advanced leadership roles including advocacy for improved access, quality, and cost effective care (Thomas et al., 2017). This course has expanded my understanding of the nursing leadership roles and the process of advocacy that is among the approaches to address issues in nursing practice. The course has improved my understanding of the scope and standards of nursing practice which I intend to apply to improve outcomes. Additionally, the course has sharpened my communication, problem-solving, and critical-thinking skills that are crucial for nursing leadership.
Quality is the degree to which health services for individuals and populations increase the likelihood of desired outcomes (Woo et al., 2017). This competency area requires the nurse practitioner to use available evidence to improve quality. This course has improved my knowledge on the aspects of cost, safety, and quality that can be used to improve outcomes in healthcare. I am now able to use evidence and research to recommend practice changes that can improve quality in healthcare.
The focus of this competency area is to enable nurses to translate scientific research into clinical setting (Thomas et al., 2017). This course has enabled me to develop investigative skills that can be applied in clinical areas to detect problems. I have been able to gather evidence and disseminate findings using multiple modalities. Throughout this course, I have been able to partner with colleagues during practice enquiry and this demonstrates how I will collaborate with other practitioners in clinical areas to improve process outcomes.
Technology and Information Literacy
An advanced practice nurse ought to integrate appropriate technologies for knowledge management to improve healthcare (Tractenberg et al., 2019). This course has prepared me to utilize appropriate technologies like EHRs and CDS systems that can be used to improve healthcare. Throughout the course, I have managed to collect data using computer systems and utilize the information to address key healthcare issues. For example, the course has enlightened me on how nurse practitioners can utilize social media to improve health in communities.
Policies are decisions pertaining health which influence healthcare resources at the organizational, local, state, and national levels. This course has introduced me to matters of policy advocacy and interprofessional collaboration with local, state, and national leaders to improve healthcare. I have learned how to choose influential leaders that can be used during policy advocacy. The course has prepared me to identify areas that can be improved in healthcare and the relevance of advocacy in issues affecting the nursing profession.
Health Delivery System
The development of advanced nursing practice has led to massive changes in service delivery while addressing the issues of cost, patient satisfaction, and clinical outcomes (Woo et al., 2017). This course has demonstrated the effect of advanced nursing practice in healthcare and how acquired skills in communication, negotiation, and collaboration can improve healthcare delivery. Through interaction with patients, I have learned how cultural diversity affects outcomes and how healthcare systems can address this issue using education and organizational policies.
This competency area requires the nurse practitioner to integrate ethical principles in decision making and evaluate the consequences of the decisions (Thomas et al., 2017). This course has improved my knowledge on ethical decisions that arise during patient care and how to manage ethical dilemmas. I can now comfortably provide care while following the ANA code of ethics and making decisions during complex situations. Through the use of ethical decision-making models, the course has prepared me to apply ethical sound solutions to complex issues in healthcare.
This program has prepared me to practice as an independent nurse practitioner by taking various courses during my learning. I have learned about health promotion, disease prevention, disease management, and palliative care are crucial areas of advanced nursing practice. Through student population focus approaches, the course has prepared me to assess, diagnose, and treat patients while working under the highest level of accountability. Additionally, the course has prepared me to provide culturally competent care to allow adequate management of patients from diverse communities.
Engaging in Social Change
My plan to engage in social change is through advocacy. Advocacy for social change applies knowledge to the resolution of the most important social problems that result in healthcare disparities. As a nurse practitioner, I plan to use my power to assume leadership positions and work with local, state, and national leaders to advocate for social change.
One of the major problems in healthcare today across all states is COVID-19. Florida is well behind other states in the management of the disease including getting COVID-19 booster shots (Florida Nurses Association, 2022). Florida Nurses Association (FNA) is currently supporting a coordinated plan for pandemic management in the state of Florida. The organization advocates for the distribution of adequate PPEs to provide a safe environment for healthcare workers (Florida Nurses Association, 2022). Additionally, the organization is working with the state department of health to ensure adequate vaccines are provided to frontline healthcare workers and patients.
Florida Nurses Association. (2022). Nursing legislation and advocacy: FNA legislative platform. https://www.floridanurse.org/page/LegislativePlatform
Thomas, A., Crabtree, M. K., Delaney, K., Dumas, M. A., Kleinpell, R., Marfell, J., & Wolf, A. (2017). Nurse practitioner core competencies content. The National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties. https://nipec.hscni.net/download/projects/current_work/highstandards_practice/career_pathway_for_general_practice_nursing/documents/USA-NPCore-Competencies.pdf
Tractenberg, R. E., Wilkinson, M. R., Bull, A. W., Pellathy, T. P., & Riley, J. B. (2019). A developmental trajectory supporting the evaluation and achievement of competencies: Articulating the Mastery Rubric for the nurse practitioner (MR-NP) program curriculum. PloS One, 14(11), e0224593. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0224593
Woo, B., Lee, J., & Tam, W. (2017). The impact of the advanced practice nursing role on quality of care, clinical outcomes, patient satisfaction, and cost in the emergency and critical care settings: A systematic review. Human Resources for Health, 15(1), 63. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12960-017-0237-9
- Conduct a windshield survey to identify a population and its primary health concern. Develop a 3–5-page report that explains demographic changes for a population and describes the health disparities and social determinants of health that can affect the population.
- proposal for a wellness education program for a specific population. Integrate aspects of culture, CAM and spirituality, and linguistics into the program
- Community health-nursing plan care plan based on the findings from your windshield survey, epidemiology presentation and family assessment.
- Community and Population Health Windshield Survey
- NR443 Milestone1: Community Windshield Survey Form
- devry nr443 Week 2- Milestone1- Community Windshield Survey
- Windshield Survey: Suicide and Mental Illness in Evans, Georgia
- Windshield Survey: Sentinel City – Task 1 C228
- Family Centered Health Promotion – Health Education, Promotion, and Current Challenges for Family Centered Health Promotion
- Mental Health and Aging: older adults especially racial-ethnic minority groups under use or non-use of mental health service
- Analyze the health status of a specific minority group
- Describe the nurse’s role and responsibility as health educator. What strategies, besides the use of learning styles, can a nurse educator consider when developing tailored individual care plans, or for educational programs in health promotion? When should behavioral objectives be utilized in a care plan or health promotion?
- Ethnic minority group
- Music therapy and mental health
- Does utilizing music therapy increase patient care outcomes?
- What is the significance of professional Therapeutic Communication in Mental Health Nursing and how this tool significantly affects mental health consumers?
- Describe the provisions for involvement of family and nominated carers in mental health treatment within the NSW Mental Health Act 2007.
- Describe the complexity of clinical leadership in mental health settings Evaluate the impact of policy change on the delivery of mental health care
- Mental Health: The historical care and treatment of people with a mental illness has provided strong evidence to underpin the need for less paternalistic, more inclusive models of care
- Mental Well-Being and Mental Health
- In adults with diabetic foot ulcers does negative pressure wound therapy leads to better wound healing compared to Standard moist wound therapy
- behavior therapy and cognitive behavior therapy
- Use the GCU Library to perform a search for peer-reviewed research articles. Find five peer-reviewed primary source translational research articles.
- Evidenced Based Nursing
- NR 449 Evidence BASED Practice RUA Analyzing Published Research
- Submit A Summary Of Six Of Your Articles On The Discussion Board On Childhood Obesity.