Curriculum Design and Development in the 21st Century
A. Summary of the Course
Community health nursing is a way of caring for patients that looks at their health as a whole. Interventions are made to improve the health of people, families, and groups. This school gives people a chance to learn and improve their skills in community health nursing by using the nursing process. By learning the basics of community health nursing, health promotion, population health, disease prevention, interprofessional collaboration, and health education across the lifespan, students will learn more about the community as a whole. The course will teach students about patient-centered care, critical thinking, decision making, evidence-based practice use, respect for culture, professionalism in nursing, and interprofessional collaboration for health promotion (American Association of Colleges of Nursing, 2008). When the course is over, the students will understand how important community health nursing is and how nurses play a part in managing the health of a population in today’s complicated healthcare system.
B. Title of unit
The basics of nursing in public health
C. Course Objectives
When the course is over, the student should be able to:
1) Figure out what nurses do in the community that no one else does.
2) Learn to understand the importance of the historical and academic ideas that make up the basis of community health nursing.
3) Use what you know about nursing to help populations, families, and groups in a way that is efficient.
D. The things that students learn
After the lesson is over, students should be able to:
1) Tell me what a nurse does in the community to avoid, promote, and treat health problems.
2) Explain how community health and public health are connected.
E. Content overview
This module is all about the basics of community health nursing. It focuses on the background of community health and the role of nurses in the community. The students will learn about the background of community health, how it relates to public health, and the ethics of providing health care at the community level. The module also teaches students about healthcare strategy and how healthcare is delivered at the national, state, local, and community levels. As the topic looks at the history and foundations of nursing, it will explain in depth the different roles of community health nurses, which is the first learning goal for students. Throughout the lesson, students will learn how public health laid the groundwork for community health. This will help them see how the two areas are alike and how they are different.
F. Tools for learning
Nies, M. A., & McEwen, M. (2014). Promoting the Health of Populations: An E-Book on Community/Public Health Nursing. Health Sciences by Elsevier.
G. Learning task based on a situation
Overview: There are many ways to specialize in nursing, and community health nursing is one of them. Community health nurses work to make sure the health of groups, families, and whole communities, instead of just caring for one patient at a time like in most hospitals. So, community health nursing is an important part of today’s health care system and should be taken seriously.
Scenario: Your school recently had a vote on whether or not to get rid of the community health nursing course for BSN students. First-year students who just started school and don’t know much about community health nursing back the motion by saying that degreed nurses can’t work in the community. You have been chosen to tell these students about the value of community health, why BSN programs are best for the course, and what it takes to be a community health nurse. As you get ready for the show, make sure to talk about:
I. What do nurses in public health do?
II. What skills do nurses who work in community health need?
III. The American Public Health Association (APHA) says that public health nurses need at least a bachelor’s degree to get started. Why do you agree with this?
Post your answer on the online discussion board and make sure to respond to at least one of your classmates’ answers.
B: Name of lesson
Health of the population and preventing disease
C. Course goals
Students should be able to do the following by the end of the course:
1) Do a thorough assessment of the community based on what you know about it and what tools are available.
2) Figure out what a group needs and then make projects to meet those needs.
3) Use strategies that are backed up by data to care for individuals, families, and groups of people in different community health settings.
Students should be able to do the following by the end of the module:
1. Find out what diseases are popular in the community and how to treat them.
2. Explain how a community needs assessment is done and what role interprofessional collaboration plays in addressing the health needs of a group.
E. Content overview
In the community health and disease prevention topic, students learn about common diseases that can spread and how to stop them. Diseases like TB, cholera, tetanus, Hepatitis A, influenza, ebola, and HIV/AIDS will be explained to the kids. The lesson will also talk about sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and the most common health worries of teens. After you know what diseases are popular in your community, the module will talk about community health assessment and how to use tools like a windshield survey to find resources to help you deal with diseases. Students will learn about community mobilization, community social action, and multidisciplinary collaboration, as well as how to use these tactics to improve the health of a whole population.
Centers for Excellence in Public Health. (2015, April 7). Common Steps in the Community Health Assessment Process:
You can get the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKNHzb-ww-M
based game for learning
As the healthcare business changes, healthier communities are getting more attention. As we’ve already talked about, one of a community nurse’s main jobs is to evaluate the health of a community to find out how healthy it is and what tools are available to make it healthier. Using tools like the windshield survey, health assessment collects data in an organized and thorough way to find out what the most important health problems are in a community. In this job, you will take part in a health simulation for a virtual community to learn more about it. While riding the bus or walking around the city, you will notice and learn about possible health problems and risks in the area.
The link to the study’s virtual community can be found in the course outline under “community assessment.” Also, download the demographic assessment and windshield survey tools from the part called “Attachments.” Fill out the tools you received and use the information to answer the questions below.
1) Name two health issues that were seen in the virtual city during the windshield survey.
2) List and explain the community tools that can be used to solve the problems listed above.
3) How can the community health nurses in the virtual community work together to solve the health risks that have been found?
B: Name of lesson
Special People and Nursing in a Disaster
C. Course goals
When the student finishes the course, he or she will be able to:
1. Find and talk about the special needs of vulnerable groups in the community.
2. Use what you’ve learned to organize and strengthen community action on health priorities that have been recognized.
3. Explain how nurses work with people, groups, and the government to deal with illnesses and disasters in the community.
When the student has finished the lesson, he or she should:
1) Talk about the health needs of people in the community who are weak, such as children and the old.
2) Tell what a community health nurse does during each step of the disaster management process.
E. Content overview
Some groups in our neighborhoods are at a much higher risk of poor health than others, compared to the rest of the people who live there. There are some things about these groups that make them more vulnerable. This module talks about groups that are at risk, such as children, the elderly, migrants, the homeless, people in jail, and people who don’t have health insurance. The students will be able to find out what makes these groups more likely to have bad health and what services are offered for these groups. Also, the lesson talks about what nurses need to think about when caring for vulnerable people, such as advocacy, primary and secondary prevention, and working with groups. The last part talks about disaster management, with a focus on the stages of disaster management and the nurse’s role in each stage. The topic of vulnerable communities is related to the first learning goal for students, which is to talk about the different needs of vulnerable groups in the community.
Clark, M. J. (2008). Community health nursing: Promoting the health of the whole population. 5th ed. Pearson Education is based in Upper Saddle River, NJ.
based game for learning
In the United States, about 1.6 million people are homeless every year. Some of the things that lead to people being homeless are a lack of cheap housing, a rise in poverty, and a drop in government aid. Homelessness is not a lasting problem, but people who are homeless are more likely to get sick or have a mental illness. Community health nurses are in charge of figuring out how to take care of people who are weak and making plans for that.
In this job, you will find one or two people who are homeless in your area. While watching the person’s behavior and health risks, get information about what caused them to be homeless and what health risks they might face.
Post your results in the online chat forum and talk about the following:
1. What does it mean to be homeless, and what makes the people at risk?
2. What were the reasons for homelessness for the selected individual/individuals?
3. Talk about three things you noticed about the named person or people that showed they were homeless.
4. How can nurses who work in community health help this unique group?
Information about the course
Setting for learning
Learning settings have a big effect on what a student learns and how well they learn it. Active learning environments make sure that students are involved in tasks and interactions that help them learn more and think more deeply. (Davis, 2017). In the first module of the course, we talk about the basics of community health nursing, like how it relates to public health and what nurses do in the community. By using the selected learning resource, students will learn more about the roles of nurses in the community in terms of prevention, promotion, and treatment. Second, the learning task given to the student will help them learn how to think critically and make decisions as they become professional nurses. As part of the baccalaureate generalist nursing practice competency, the students will be able to work with communities, populations, and groups once the lesson is done.
In the second part of the course, students learn about population health, how to keep people from getting sick, and how nurses can use the nursing process to keep people from getting sick. With the help of the learning resource, students will learn how to do a community survey and what nurses do to keep common diseases from spreading in the community. With the help of the windshield poll, the students will take part in a community assessment of a virtual community. Students will be able to learn how to evaluate, make decisions, and get along with other people as they do this task. When the students finish the module, they will be competent in clinical prevention, population health, and interprofessional communication and cooperation. (AACN, 2008). It will give students the chance to work with other skilled teams to improve health and learn how to communicate well while doing so.
As talked about in the third-course lesson, community health nurses work with many different types of people, including those who are at risk. With the help of the course book, the students will learn about the different types of special populations in the community, what puts these groups at risk, and what tools are available to meet their needs. Students will learn how to communicate, work together, and evaluate effectively by using the learning resource and doing the learning task that has been chosen. Also, the student will learn how to be culturally competent by talking to people from different groups to find out about their health issues. The students will get a scholarship for evidence-based practice as well as clinical prevention and public health skills when they finish the course. The student will also be able to work with other teams to make decisions that can change healthcare policy to help special groups in the community.
How to Learn Theory
Learning is a process that combines personal and environmental events and changes skills, values, attitudes, and behavior. (Tharayil et al., 2018). There are different learning theories that can explain this, and the community health nursing school shows how constructivism learning theory is used. This idea says that people don’t just passively take in information. Instead, they build their knowledge by interacting with their surroundings. (Gunduz & Hursen, 2015). In this theory, learners are seen as people who make sense of knowledge by writing it down and figuring out what it means. During learning, the teacher uses the learner-centered method, in which the teacher is seen more as a guide for the learner than as a source of information.
In module 2 of the course, one of the things students should learn is how to do a needs assessment for a community and what the role of interprofessional collaboration is in addressing health issues for a population. In this outcome, the instructor will talk about the basics of community assessment and the health issues of different groups of people. The students must then use what they’ve learned to do a learning activity that includes using a windshield survey to find out what the real health problems are in a virtual community. As the constructivism learning theory says, this practice gives people a chance to talk to each other and use what they already know to help them think of new ideas. Because online learning environments encourage people to talk to each other, the constructivism theory applies to them. Students take part in online talks and answer their peers’ questions based on what they’ve learned. Also, the teacher can give online resources that students can use to help them understand on their own.
Justification of Learning Resources
The basics of the community health nursing course are taught with the help of a course guide. This material is best for students because it tells them in detail about things that lead to bad health in the community. The book has a lot of information about the past of nursing and how it relates to public health. It also focuses on the importance of community in every step of the nursing process. (Nies & McEwen, 2014). The book also has key terms, chapter goals, and chapter outlines to help students understand important ideas about the community. The second lesson uses a video posted online by the Public Health Centers for Excellence that shows how to do a health assessment for a community. This information is part of the flipped classroom learning approach, which lets students learn on their own to encourage active learning. In the third section, a book is used as a learning tool. The book Population and Community Health Nursing focuses on how community health nursing can be used to help specific groups of people. (Clark, 2008). Unit IV of the book will give detailed information about special groups of people and the health tools that are available to help them.
Activity for Learning Based on Scenarios
The scenario-based learning practice that was chosen is from module 2 of the course, which is about health and preventing diseases in groups. In the student’s activity, I give them links to a virtual community where they should do a windshield survey to find out what the community’s health worries are. The activity is more interesting because the students have to move around the neighborhood and look through a window to find resources that can be used to deal with a health problem that has been identified. The activity helps students learn because it gives them a chance to ask questions that touch large groups of people. It helps students understand complicated factors, the roles of team members, and the strengths and capacities of their communities. (Thomas, 2017). When the module is over, the students will be able to improve their communication, ability to make decisions, ability to work with other professionals, and ability to think. The scenario will encourage students to think about what they’ve learned because they’ll have to write a narrative paper about their results and talk about the health problems they’ve found in an online discussion forum. Students will be able to think about the role of nurses and other professional teams in improving the health of the community as well as the community tools that can be used to deal with health problems that affect the whole community.
- Nursing Leadership 9: Leadership Style
- SAT1: Task 2 – RCA and FMEA FMEA Table
- Causes and Management of Conflict in Nursing
- Nursing Leadership 8: Leadership versus Management
- Assess leadership styles, traits, and practices as a nursing professional, establish the importance of effective interprofessional communication as a leader in nursing, and to explore the role of servant leadership in nursing practice
- Conflict Management Styles
- Nursing leadership and management functions
- Management and Leadership in nursing
- Nursing Leadership and Management Field Experience: CLABSI Prevention in the ICU Capstone Project Title
- Power Point Task: Implications If Lobbying Efforts Do Not Succeed Code 009004002019DD
- Assessment Task 2: Case Scenario
- Assessment Task 1 – Team work: Preparation of an e-poster and in class presentation/exhibition of e-poster.
- ADVANCED PROFESSIONAL ROLES AND VALUES TASK 3 POSITION PAPER
- Field experience C823 task 1
- Portfolio Shell Creation
- Ethical Principle Application
- Healthcare Utilization and Finance
- Management and Leadership in Nursing Practice
- Nursing Leadership 6: Leadership Power
- Write a report on the application of population health improvement initiative outcomes to patient-centered care, based on information presented in an interactive multimedia scenario.
- C824 Task2: Produce and record a multimedia presentation of the information you provided in your capstone
- ADVANCED INFORMATION MANAGEMENT AND THE APPLICATION OF TECHNOLOGY — C791
- C791 Advanced Information Management and the Application of Technology
- SCHOLARLY PAPER About A Nursing Theory. The Paper Is To Be A Five To Six (5-6) Pages Total (Double-Spaced, 12 Font, 1 Inch Margins). Follow APA Guidelines For A Cover Sheet, Headers, Pagination, References, Etc. Use APA Format
- SCHOLARLY PAPER PHASE 1
- Balogun NR351 Scholarly Paper Phase 1
- PREPARING THE SCHOLARLY PAPER PHASE 1 USING ONLY THE ARTICLE UPLOADED
- Nursing Scholarly Paper Phase 2
- SCHOLARLY PAPER: Dorothy Johnson’s Behavioral System Model (24 Hours)