The following course objective is reflected in this assignment:
CO 2: Examine the state of the healthcare system in the United States with a focus on patient-centered care.
A report was issued by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) and the Institute of Medicine (IOM) titled The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health.
Please review this document as well as the 2015 update on the progress made on the IOM recommendations.
Eight recommendations were included in this report. These are reviewed in detail in your supplemental reading by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) and the Institute of Medicine (IOM) titled, The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health. This is located in the course content tab.
1. Remove scope-of-practice barriers
2. Expand opportunities for nurses to lead and diffuse collaborative improvement efforts
3. Implement Nurse Residency Programs
4. Increase the proportion of nurses with a baccalaureate degree to 80% by 2020
5. Double the number of nurses with a doctorate by 2020
6. Ensure that nurses engage in lifelong learning
7. Prepare and enable nurses to lead change to advance health
8. Build an infrastructure for the collection and analysis of interprofessional healthcare workforce data
What are the implications of at least two of the recommendations and their current state of progress for advanced practice, education, or research given the current uncertainty of health care, healthcare funding measures, and the Affordable Care Act (ACA) in the United States?
Please be specific with your answers. Be sure that you have addressed the IOM Report and the ACA in your discussion