Nursing professionals and students should not only be restricted to bedside nursing. Various opportunities exist for a nurse other than the bedside tasks. Seeking a career beyond bedside nursing improves autonomy and allow nurses to advance their careers. If nurses want to contribute to the medical professionals in a broader perspective, they need to seek numerous opportunities that exist outside the realms of bedside nursing. Other than bedside nursing, nurses can work as nurse practitioners, care managers, statisticians, information technologists, among other professional roles. Students need to do or engage in various things to adapt to the rapidly changing nursing industry. The task seeks to highlight what nurses can do to prepare for the diverse nature of nursing.
Firstly, students should advance their education by enrolling in advanced programs. Advanced programs allow nurses to take advanced nursing programs in healthcare (Bruinooge et al., 2018). The advanced programs can allow nurses to work as nurse anaesthetists, certified nurse-midwife, nurse practitioners, and clinical nurse specialists. The students should strive to advance their careers and consider pursuing a doctoral or masters program. These programs will provide them with the necessary skills and competencies to work as advanced practitioner nurses. Their scope of practice will also be increased beyond bedside nursing. Some of these professionals can take various leadership roles in a healthcare setting. Some can also become leaders in various programs in the healthcare setting. For example, advanced nursing practitioners can head a committee task to implement various changes in the healthcare setting. Students should understand that taking these programs will increase their autonomy. Various states in the united state of America have increased the scope of advanced practitioner nurses. Some can dependently or independently prescribe various drugs to patients. Advancing one’s education can allow one to work beyond bedside nursing.
Secondly, nurses can advance their research skills. Research is an important element in nursing practice (Nieswiadomy et al., 2018). When students possess nursing research skills, they can be presented with many opportunities outside the realms of bedside nursing. They can work as clinical research specialists. A clinical research specialist can research many medical facilities and organizations to improve patient care and outcomes. They can be allowed to select their team to build and deploy research projects. The teams can also be involved in analyzing and reporting the research findings. Research opportunities are one outlet for nurses seeking to work beyond bedside nursing. Therefore, students should equip themselves with knowledge and skills in research. When they possess the skills, whenever an opportunity comes that requires research expertise, they can take it up. Students should always be ready for any opportunity while working as bedside nurses.
Finally, nurses should ensure that they are members of various professional bodies in nursing and healthcare. Professional organizations set practice and educational standards for nursing education and practice (Backonja, 2022). They can provide their members with various benefits. The benefits include scholarship programs and discounts on various services in nursing. The bodies can expose nurses to various career opportunities. These bodies can provide their members with various job opportunities other than those involving bedside nursing.
Nursing has evolved beyond bedside nursing. Nursing students should be aware of the numerous opportunities in nursing beyond bedside nursing. To prepare for the dynamic nature of nursing, nurses can enrol in advanced nursing programs, improve their research skills and ensure they are members of professional organizations in nursing and healthcare. They should be ready to take up future roles that may arise in nursing. The roles outside bedside nursing are very beneficial to the lives of nurses.
Backonja, U., Langford, L. H., & Mook, P. J. (2022). How to Support the Nursing Informatics Leadership Pipeline: Recommendations for Nurse Leaders and Professional Organizations. CIN: Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 40(1), 8-20.
Bruinooge, S. S., Pickard, T. A., Vogel, W., Hanley, A., Schenkel, C., Garrett-Mayer, E., … & Williams, S. F. (2018). Understanding the role of advanced practice providers in oncology in the United States. Journal of Oncology Practice, 14(9), e518-e532.
Nieswiadomy, R. M., & Bailey, C. (2018). Foundations of nursing research. https://mtshohoe.edu.gh/library/index.php?p=show_detail&id=804&keywords=ebook
- Occupational Health Nursing
- Fundamentals of occupational health and safety
- Summarizing an article on Occupational Health Nurse or Physician, Safety engineer, Industrial Hygienist or Ergonomist
- Conduct a literature review paper (4 pages) about the impact of occupational health and safety (OHS) policies on dentists’ performance in Saudi Arabia
- impact of occupational health and safety (OHS) policies on dentists’ performance in Saudi Arabia.
- Solid Waste Management and Occupational Health
- Occupational history clinical activity
- Enforcement procedures for the Occupational Therapy Code of Ethics
- Improvements for children or adults in the participating occupational profiles
- Ethnic minority group
- Syphilis causes and effect detail and flow sheet
- SYPHILIS AGE 25-29
- What is informed consent and why was it disregarded in the Syphilis Study at Tuskegee?
- The Importance of Time Management and Documentation in the role of nursing student and RN Paper details
- Tour a nursing home in your community and record details about the physical setting, the social interactions of the residents, the activities of the staff, and other basic information.
- Schizophrenia. Explained with details
- Details: After reading the Topic 1 materials, complete the questionnaire titled, “My Nursing Ethic.”
- EXPLORING PYCHOLOGY IN DETAILS
- This Is A Collaborative Learning Community (CLC) Assignment. In Your Collaborative Learning Community, Write A Paper Of 500-1,000 Words That Describes The History Of The Identified Health Issue.
- Week 1: Psychiatric Assessment Of The Adult And Older Adult
- Online learning is considered a virtual learning environment (VLE); however there are other types of VLE that you may have used or heard about. Please discuss one of the following VLE’s and your experience with using it
- Compare Physical Assessment Of A Child To That Of Adult
- Interview With An Older Adult
- Role Of The APRN In Increasing Adult Vaccinations
- Elderly Adult Assessment APA Paper