The principles of nursing
Safe and effective nursing is significantly dependent on strict adherence to nursing principles. These principles cover aspects of behavior and attitude, which are essential for good nursing care. As a PMHNP, these principles are critical to my professional development as they help reflect on my practice. There are several instances where I have applied these principles in the clinical area.
According to McDermott-Levy, Leffers & Mayaka (2018), the principle of beneficence requires that nurse practitioners act with love and genuine concern to ensure the wellbeing of their patients. In my practice, I have applied the principle of beneficence in taking care of a patient diagnosed with major depression. I learned that my patient liked to meditate during our interaction, but his concentration was constantly interrupted by stray thoughts and worries. During his time in the hospital, I would dedicate fifteen minutes of my shift to meditating with him, helping him improve his concentration in the process. We would recite affirmations together, and at the end of the sessions, he would be feeling better, at peace, and in good spirit. This act helped alleviate the patient’s feelings of loneliness and hopelessness, improving his mental health.
The principle of nonmaleficence is also significant in nursing practice. It requires health professionals to “Do No Harm” (McDermott et al., 2018). During my patient interaction event, I applied nonmaleficence in implementing interventions that can cause the least harm while generating the most beneficial outcomes. For instance, there was a patient who verbalized suicidal thoughts with a plan of executing them. In this case, the healthcare professional team was in an ethical dilemma between ensuring patient privacy and providing patient care to protect the public. We were compelled to provide patient care under close supervision using this principle. Therefore, patient privacy had to be violated in the process to protect the patient and the public.
From these two patient interaction events, I have gained a lot of personal and professional insights. First, as a young professional in this field, I have been able to set my nursing values based on the few patient interactions I have had. For example, one of my nursing values is ‘to treat others how I would like them to treat me if I were in their shoes.’ Based on this, I always give my best and genuine care to my patients for a better health outcome in the shortest time possible. Professionally, I have improved my collaboration with colleagues by applying ethical principles in addressing patient concerns.
The level of trust that the public has in healthcare providers is just among the indicators that highlight the importance of adhering to ethical principles. These principles are essential in nursing practice as they establish the foundation upon which expectations of nursing care are generated (Poorchangizi et al., 2019). Haddad and Geiger (2018) further established that caregivers, patients, and families expect a certain way of treatment and services based on these principles. Also, patients can evaluate the standard of care they receive and provide an informed feedback based on these principles.
Haddad, L. M., & Geiger, R. A. (2018). Nursing ethical considerations. Retrieved from https://europepmc.org/article/nbk/nbk526054
McDermott-Levy, R., Leffers, J., & Mayaka, J. (2018). Ethical principles and guidelines of global health nursing practice. Nursing Outlook, 66(5), 473-481.
Poorchangizi, B., Borhani, F., Abbaszadeh, A., Mirzaee, M., & Farokhzadian, J. (2019). Professional values of nurses and nursing students: A comparative study. BMC medical education, 19(1), 1-7.
- Health Problems: Which area, rural or urban, has the most health problems? Why? Identify four common health problems found in that area.
- Environmental Health and Health Effects of Environmental Change
- HCA415 Community and Public Health Case Study 1: Environmental Injustice in Homer, Louisiana; Do all citizens have equal rights to protection against threats to environmental health?
- Environmental Health and Health Effects of Environmental Change
- Environmental Justice: Exploring risk assessment and risk management, and what governments can do to prevent potential environmental health issues Custom Paper
- What biological, psychological, environmental, socio-cultural, behavioral, and health system factors might be contributing to the failure of LGBT to use health care services? What population health nursing interventions might promote more effective use of services? 400 words in length and utilize at least one scholarly source
- Environmental Pollution Scenario: You are an associate-level environmental scientist in a large urban city
- Paranoid Schizophrenia AND Pylelonephritis
- Schizophrenia. Explained with details
- Abnormal Psychology: Schizophrenia
- Write a brief 1-2 paragraph weekly reflection addressing the questions posed in the Reflect section of each weekly module. Edit your ePorfolio Reflection to include each weekly reflection.
- The reflection paper will consist of minimum 300 words, doubled space, APA style (no references). As you write your paper reflect on the following topics. You can select one or two of the topics to complete the reflection paper.
- Select a nursing research article from the list below that includes a theoretical or conceptual framework and the exploration of a clinical problem. Identify the nursing research article components using the Week 5 research template.
- In this Assignment, you will locate relevant existing research. You also will analyze this research using a tool helpful for analysis.
- Use the GCU Library to perform a search for peer-reviewed research articles. Find five peer-reviewed primary source translational research articles.
- evaluate quantitative research questions and hypotheses in assigned journal articles in your discipline and consider the alignment of theory, problem, purpose, research questions and hypotheses, and design.
- Identify the research components, listed on the template. Select a nursing research article from the list below and address each of the following criteria
- Begin by selecting a topic in nursing or medicine that is of interest to you. Next, use PICOT to format possible research questions about that topic. Provide 3 possible PICOT research questions
- Write a critical appraisal that demonstrates comprehension of two quantitative research studies. Use the “Research Critique Guidelines – Part II” document to organize your essay
- Intervention Research And Systems Research