Discuss How the Political Determinants of Health Negatively Impact the Health Outcomes of a Group of Patients for Whom You Care
Politics have a negative impact on a group of patients’ outcomes, as illustrated by the metaphorical orchard allegory. It underscores how frequently people have no influence over the political circumstances that have a negative impact on their health. The fence serves as a metaphor for the various economic, political, and societal factors that prevent some people from receiving medical care (Satcher Health Leadership Institute., 2021). These components could include poverty, poor infrastructure, or a lack of insurance coverage. This fable also highlights how acutely those who are already impoverished sense the effects of political factors on their health. There is no competition between the trees in the orchard and the trees in the forest for sunlight, nutrients, and water. They consequently have a higher chance of contracting the disease and producing fruits of poor grade.
The metaphorical trees in the orchard stand in for the patients whose health is impacted by political factors. The metaphor of factors like poverty, inadequate infrastructure, and lack of insurance focuses on the truth that political conditions that have an impact on health are frequently out of control for some patients, especially the repercussions that are experienced most significantly by those who are poor(Satcher Health Leadership Institute., 2021). The healthcare system is another thing that the orchard symbolizes. The orchard allegory is a powerful reminder to address the political factors to improve everyone’s health.
Why Are You, As A Nurse, The Right Person To Become Politically Involved In Addressing These Determinants?
As a nurse, I can understand how political influences affect the well-being of my patients. The socioeconomic elements that affect the population’s and individuals’ health are some well-known political health determinants. These necessities involve financial security, healthcare access, housing, education, and employment opportunities. The state of political factors can substantially impact the health of populations.
A politically significant element influencing health is income. Low-income individuals are more likely to have poor health than those with higher incomes. Lack of access to affordable, high-quality healthcare, healthful food, and suitable housing are a few factors that contribute to this (Satcher Health Leadership Institute., 2021). Additionally, low-income workers are more likely to experience stress because they work physically demanding or dangerous jobs. Another important political issue that has an impact on health is education. Higher-educated people have easier access to high-quality medical treatment and are likely to find lucrative employment (Gardner, 2019). Additionally, they are more knowledgeable than people with less education about selecting healthy lives and keeping their health.
As a nurse, I frequently interact with patients, which offers me a unique perspective on the political variables that influence health. Nurses are also qualified and knowledgeable enough to speak up for change for the patients they care for. As a result, politically active nurses may ensure that political factors do not negatively affect their patients’ health. Voting is the best way for nurses to get involved in politics. This is so that elected officials can express their opinions and impact how they vote (Porche, 2021). Working with organizations that support reform for the community and patients is another opportunity for nurses to get involved in politics. Nurses can leave a positive impact by participating in political processes and advocating for change.
Gardner, S. K. (2019). Equity and Equality [YouTube Video]. In YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCS7Rus4_-Y
Porche, D. J. (2021). Health Policy: Application for Nurses and Other Healthcare Professionals. In Google Books. Jones & Bartlett Learning. https://books.google.co.ke/books?hl=en&lr=&id=II9JEAAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PP1&dq=Health+Policy:+Application+for+Nurses+and+Other+Healthcare+Professionals+Porche
Satcher Health Leadership Institute. (2021, February 2). The Political Determinants of Health – Jessica’s Story. Www.youtube.com. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmMutvgQIcU
Satcher Health Leadership Institute. (2021, April 19). The Allegory of the Orchard – Part II – The Political Determinants of Health by Daniel E. Dawes. Www.youtube.com. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gTbPog_J9s
Satcher Health Leadership Institute. (2021, April 19). The Allegory of the Orchard – The Political Determinants of Health by Daniel E. Dawes. Www.youtube.com. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mux1c73fJ78
- Reflect on your professional and academic goals as they relate to your program/specialization. · Consider how the information in these resources fit with your own goals and to your becoming a scholar-practitioner.
- A Literature Review. Students Will Use The Information From The Earlier PICOT Statement Paper And Literature Evaluation Table Assignments To Develop A 750-1,000 Word Review That Includes The Following Sections:
- In a formal paper of 1,000-1,250 words you will discuss the work of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Committee Initiative on the Future of Nursing and the Institute of Medicine research that led to the IOM report, “Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health.”
- Professional Leadership Communication and the Practice Scholar Guidelines
- Explain The Concept Of True Collaboration In Health Care And Describe The Benefits Of Effective Interdisciplinary Collaboration. Then, Describe The Characteristics Required For Effective Collaboration, Describe Barriers To Collaboration, And Offer Evidence
- Describe the developmental markers a nurse should assess for a 9-month-old female infant. Discuss the recommendations you would give the mother. Explain why these recommendations are based on evidence-based practice
- The purpose of this assignment is to discuss health care culture and describe how CWV can be used to improve ethical practices. In a 1,000-1,250 word essay, discuss the important factors associated with health care culture. Include the following in your essay:
- Identify What Issues May Arise With Prescriptive Authority Of Controlled Substances And How You May Avoid These Situations?
- Select a research article, other than the articles from your assignments, from the GCU library. Provide an overview of the study and describe the strategy that was used to select the sample from the population.
- Family Law – Domestic Violence & Company Law on Registration of a company
- Death Investigations and the Role of the Forensic Nurse Custom Essay Death Investigations and the Role of the Forensic Nurse INTRODUCTION “Above all, realize that nursing care doesn’t have to stop because a patient has expired. We can do so much more for people who suffered questionable deaths by focusing on forensics. Nurses can help families gain closure and assist law enforcement with their investigations because we have cared enough to maintain the integrity of the evidence.” (Erricksen, 2008, p. 43) This quote from Debbie Rice, RN, NREMT, an emergency nurse at Memorial Regional Hospital in Hollywood, FL, could be used to help define the role of forensic nurses in death investigations. All nurses, first and foremost, must care for their patients. That caring does not end when the patient is dead, but can help the death investigator to the best job possible in assisting in investigating the cause and manner of death.
- Health Care Ethics & Medical Law
- Development of U.S. Health Care in Hospitals Based on the Foundation of U.S. Law
- Why have specific laws pertaining to the health care? If you had the ability to create and enact a new healthcare law, what would it be? Why would you enact it? What would be its impact on the healthcare field?
- HCA 322 Health Care Ethics and Medical Law
- Identify a new law or regulation that affects the practice of public health or community health nursing.
- Define economic of healthcare, politics, law and environmental health and how they are related to public health?
- the role of health care organizations in ensuring patient safety. Identify regulatory agencies and how they influence the functioning of health care organizations. Discuss the effects of liability litigation risks on health care organizations