Banner Health Description
Organizational culture is one of the most critical factors that ensure the success of an organization. Healthcare organizations must encourage a competitive and warm organizational culture to ensure enhanced delivery of healthcare services. Banner Health is a nonprofit health organization based in Phoenix, Arizona, and operates in six states in the U.S., with more than 50, 000 employees (Banner Health, 2021). It is one of the largest employers in the U.S. with a health network that operates 30 acute healthcare facilities with specialized services in various departments (Banner Health, 2021). This includes primary and emergency care, laboratory tests, pharmacies, and rehabilitation services.
Banner Health’s vision emphasizes the use of technological innovation and clinical excellence, for improved coordination of patient care and continuous professional development (Banner Health, 2021). In line with this vision, there are several projects relating to innovation, training, and quality improvement that are underway. For example, its partnership with the University of Arizona in 2015 was aimed to increase its brand visibility, initiate new healthcare strategies, educational courses, public health strategies, and reimbursement projects (Cairns, Bollinger, & Garcia, 2017). These initiatives address the most common healthcare needs such as accessibility to healthcare, health education, and availability of primary healthcare services. Banner Health has constantly displayed a strong organizational culture, evidenced by high employee retention rates. However, the shifting health and environmental aspects of the population have led to certain changes in the organization’s culture. This paper describes current issues in organizational culture, a strategic plan to counter these issues, the best model to implement that strategic plan.
The Organization’s overall readiness
The information regarding Banner Health undoubtedly reveals its readiness to tackle health issues among various target populations in the next decade. However, there are certain aspects of organizational culture that might impede the achievement of the organization’s goals in time. Some of these aspects are the failure of the management to treat all workers equally. Online organization culture surveys and reviews indicate that the management displays high levels of favoritism among the staff members, with an additional lack of open communication between the leadership and the staff members. Open communication without fear or favor can lead to a culture where every employee feels valued and is motivated to give their best at work. Another issue is the constant economic changes in the country which might destabilize and weaken the network. Therefore, the network must have reliable sources of funds to keep it running.
Strategic plan to address the issues
This strategic plan will address the organization’s collaboration with other partners, which will lead to better resource management and general organization growth. This plan recommends more partnerships with learning facilities in areas such as internships, training and workshops for professionals, and research, with increased emphasis on community-based partnerships. Remarkably, nationwide systems and networks can be more effective.
A thorough examination of staff members’ level of commitment and satisfaction, patient health outcomes, and satisfaction levels is key in improving the organization’s culture. The findings will reveal the existing gaps in performance, and shortcomings in the organizational culture, which are crucial for establishing quality improvement initiatives, and other beneficial organizational changes. The network’s participation in different community-based projects designed to solve public health concerns and enhance the public’s awareness of critical health issues is also necessary. Through effective community partnerships, the network can effortlessly promote its brand and improve organizational outcomes.
Current/Potential issues within the organizational culture
One of the current issues that can potentially affect the strategic plan is the communication between leadership and staff member within the organization. From the online surveys, most employees are not satisfied with how the management addresses critical issues when they arise. They display favoritisms, and cannot easily handle difficult conversations with employees. Initiating and maintaining partnerships and collaborations require the stakeholders to have good and effective communication skills. Addressing issues as they come up and conflict resolution skills are critical in establishing a healthy professional relationship.
Model supporting the implementation of the strategic plan
The 5Ps model is the most appropriate model to implement this strategic plan. The model aligns five critical variables to enhance operations within an organization. The 5Ps are purpose, principles, processes, people, and performance. The high efficiency and effectiveness of an organization require significant consonance of these five variables (Hill, 2018). Any inconsistencies lead to wastage of time, energy, and resources, and employee frustration. This strategic plan requires leaders to concentrate on focusing the employees’ commitment to the set objectives, and align the organizational processes and procedures with the values. According to Indrawati (2017), in implementing the collaborations and partnerships with other networks, this model seems the most appropriate as it ensures quality improvement. Aligning processes to the established organizational culture is key to strengthening this strategic plan.
Banner Health has a strong organizational culture evidenced by staff adherence to the organization’s vision, mission, and values (Banner Health, 2021). However, the increasing workload has the potential of negatively affecting the organization’s culture, the degree of implementing the new strategic plan, and staff members’ satisfaction levels. The increased workload would translate to less time spent on professional development activities such as on-the-job training, and participation in research. Consequently, employees will be less inspired to take part in and stay committed to the set objectives. This affects the organizational culture eventually. The incorporation of the 5Ps model would ensure aligning processes and operations in the organization with their culture to improve the achievement of goals and employee satisfaction rates.
Organizational culture plays a significant role in the achievement of an organization’s goals and objectives. The implementation of this strategic plan requires a stable culture that will ensure the employees work collaboratively to achieve the set objectives and the desired goals. Considerably, the healthcare services provided at Banner Health may deteriorate if the existing shortcomings in the organizational culture are not resolved. Integrating the community into its culture is a significant step in improving patient outcomes and satisfaction. Additionally, clearly outlining the organization’s values would make them visible to the employees who will follow them to the latter. Conclusively, the organization must maintain transparency and visibility in tackling its issues while treating its employees equally without any bias as it is critical to achieving high performance and employee satisfaction levels.
Banner Health (2021). Banner Health at Glance. Retrieved 24 February 2022, from https://www.bannerhealth.com/about/glance.
Cairns, C. B., Bollinger, K., & Garcia, J. (2017). A transformative approach to academic medicine. Academic Medicine, 92(1), 20-22. Web.
Indrawati, H. (2017). The impacts of the strategic planning implementation on the cooperative members’ participation. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 8(3), 99.
St Hill, R. (2018). The 5P model of missional business: Background and description. In Reimagining Christian Education (pp. 295-326). Springer, Singapore.
- Nurse’s Role in Influencing the Legislative Process
- Nursing: Student will develop a Legislative Matrix based upon the specific legislators in a residential/geographical legislative district
- week 2 project: Student will develop a Legislative Matrix based upon the specific legislators in a residential/geographical legislative district
- Explain the value that professional nursing organizations in networking and in the legislative process
- Legislative Bill
- Which historical movements, legal decisions, and legislative actions do you consider most important in forming the basis for special education services in the United States?
- Topic: Strategies for Legislative Change
- Legislative Letter
- Interview a professional nurse with a BSN who could be a mentor to you and who exemplifies the type of nurse you want to become.
- Mary, a registered nurse, decided that she wants to become a CNP. She applied and was accepted to the Family Nurse Practitioner program at Chamberlain College of Nursing
- Master of Nursing Curriculum; Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Educator, Nurse Informatics, and Nurse Administrator.
- Master of Nursing Curriculum; Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Educator, Nurse Informatics, and Nurse Administrator
- Compare and contrast the roles of the Nurse practitioner, nurse education, nurse informatics and nurse administrator
- Health Information Management (HIM) professionals must be aware of the laws affecting fraud and abuse, in addition to the laws affecting the management of personnel within their department.
- Compare and contrast the theorist with the major themes in the curriculum: Caring, Health, Learning, Nursing and Commitment to Human Dignity.
- Analyze an Example of Exceptional Commitment to Nursing
- Nurses: Strength, Commitment, Compassion Custom Essay
- The impact of nurse directors behaviour in employee commitment towards work
- Organizational Commitment
- Psychiatric Nursing: Critical Incident Debriefing
- An Overview of the DSM-5: Changes,Controversy, and Implications for Psychiatric Nursing
- Returning to School to Become a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Custom Essay
- Case Study On Biomedical Ethics In The Christian Narrative profile