Evidence-Based Practice C361
- Write a summary of the significance and background of a healthcare problem by doing the following:
- Describe a healthcare problem that can be used to develop a PICO question.
Note: You may use the same topic and the same research articles that were used in Task 1 provided they support the proposed intervention. Or you may choose a different topic and select articles focusing on one of the following topics: falls and fall prevention, pain management in children, opioid abuse, hepatitis C, catheter-associated urinary tract infections, and hand hygiene and infections in hospitals.
- Explain the significance of the problem from part A1.
- Describe the current healthcare practices related to the problem from part A1.
- Discuss how the problem affects the organization and patients’ cultural background (i.e., values, health behavior, and preferences).
- Complete a literature review by searching for a total of seven articles consisting of five research articles and two non-research articles related to the healthcare problem from part A1, and describe the search strategy you used to conduct the literature review by doing the following:
- Discuss two research evidence sources and two nonresearch evidence sources that you considered.
Note: Please do not use the same primary author for more than two articles. Articles must not be more than five years old.
- Use your research articles to develop a PICO (patient/population, intervention/indicator, comparison/control, and outcome) question based on the topic.
- Complete the attached “Evidence Matrix,” using the five research evidence sources from scholarly journal sources you located during the literature review in part B. For each article, address the following points:
Note: You may submit your completed matrix as a separate attachment to the task, or you may include the matrix within your paper, aligned to APA formatting standards.
Note: Upload a copy of the full text of the articles with your submission.
- author, journal name, and year of publication
- research design (e.g., quantitative, qualitative, mixed design, systematic review)
- sample size (e.g., numbers of study participants, number of articles, number of control group participants)
- outcome variables measured (e.g., identify what the research is measuring)
- quality (using the following scale: A, B, C)
- results/author’s conclusions (e.g., briefly summarize the outcome)
- Recommend a practice change that addresses the PICO question, using the evidence collected in the attached “Evidence Matrix.” You must use all five research articles from the “Evidence Matrix” attachment to support this recommendation via in-text citations.
- Describe a process for implementing the practice change from part E in which you do the following:
- Explain how you would involve three key stakeholders in the decision to implement the recommendation from part E.
- Describe two specific barriers you may encounter when implementing the practice change from part E in the nursing practice setting.
- Identify two strategies that could be used to overcome the barriers described in part F2.
- Identify one indicator to measure the outcome (the O in PICO question) of the recommended change practice from part E.
- Acknowledge sources, using APA-formatted in-text citations and references, for content that is quoted, paraphrased, or summarized.
- Demonstrate professional communication in the content and presentation of your submission.
The described healthcare problem contains enough detail that it can be used to develop a PICO question. The described healthcare problem is one that is currently prioritized in healthcare organizations.
A2:SIGNIFICANCE OF PROBLEM
The explanation thoroughly addresses the significance of the problem described in part A1.” The explanation contains enough detail to address the significance of the problem described in part A1.
The description incorporates specific examples of the current healthcare practices related to the described problem from part A1.
A4:IMPACT ON BACKGROUND
The discussion incorporates specific details of how the problem affects the organization and specific examples of how the problem impacts the patient’s cultural background.
The discussion of 2 research evidence sources and 2 nonresearch evidence sources conveys a level of understanding in relation to appropriate scholarly and secular sources.
The developed question includes all elements of PICO (patient/population, intervention/indicator, comparison/control, and outcome), is based on the topic and uses research from part B.
The “Evidence Matrix” attachment includes the 5 sources from part B, and the scholarly journal sources are located in major medical databases. All of the given points are accurately or logicaLly addressed for each source.
E:RECOMMENDED PRACTICE CHANGE
The recommended practice change is an logical outcome of the PICO question and is supported by the evidence collected in the “Evidence Matrix” attachment. All 5 research articles from the “Evidence Matrix” attachment are used via in-text citations to support the recommendation.
F1 :KEY STAKEHOLDERS
The explanation shows an effective way for 3 key stakeholders to be involved in the decision to implement the recommendation from part E.
The description addresses 2 plausible barriers that may be encountered when implementing the practice change from part E in a nursing practice setting.
F3:STRATEGIES FOR BARRIERS
2 strategies that could be used to overcome the barriers described in part F2 are identified.
F4:INDICATOR TO MEASURE OUTCOME
The 1 identified indicator would measure the outcome of the recommended practice change from part E.
The submission includes in-text citations and references for content that is quoted, paraphrased, or summarized and demonstrates a consistent application of APA style.
Content reflects attention to detail, is organized, and focuses on the main ideas as prescribed in the task or chosen by the candidate. Terminology is pertinent, is used correctly, and effectively conveys the intended meaning. Mechanics, usage, and grammar promote accurate interpretation and understanding.