- Using the Intraprofessional Reflection Questions below to guide your answer, describe how you can work collaboratively in the interprofessional team. (199 words)
Healthcare providers deliver quality care to healthcare consumers when professionals from different backgrounds provide comprehensive healthcare services by collaborating with patients, families, caregivers, and communities. Mental models are used by people to interact with the environment around them. People utilize them to engage with the world around them because they are personal, internal representations of external reality. They are created by individuals based on their own life experiences, perceptions, and understandings of the world. The Team STEPP model encourages the health care team members to train safety and quality improvement based on leadership, situation, mutual support, and communication (Sherwood & Barnsteiner, 2021). It encourages positive attitudes among workers allowing them to learn and improve patients’ health outcomes.
There are several cadres of nurses who work together in a unit. They have different levels of education, experience, knowledge, and skills and work together in inpatient care. Being caring, advocating for teamwork, empathy, and practical communication skills promotes respect for all the staff. Collaboration between nurses promotes continuous patient-centered care, fragmentation of communication is avoided, and motivation among staff is increased(Sherwood & Barnsteiner, 2021). There is effective, efficient patient care and a supportive environment for the professional growth of the team.
- Discuss your observations of the nurse’s participation in the patient rounds using the six competency domains for effective interprofessional collaboration from the National Interprofessional Competency Framework. Identify what the nurse could have done differently. (141 words)
The nurse should have enhanced patient-centered care by valuing and integrating the family’s input (daughter) in the care of the patient. Nurses should share information with the family members respectfully such that discussion about the patient is encouraged and participation in decision making. The nurse should also listen to the expressed needs of all the parties involved. Developing a set of principles to guide the interprofessional interactions among all the staff is essential. This ensures that professionalism, ethics, respect for the teams, and confidentiality are facilitated for effective service delivery. Understanding the roles of every team member, including their responsibilities, is essential for achieving patient goals (Sherwood & Barnsteiner, 2021). They should also communicate using the appropriate language that promotes respect because it enhances full disclosure and transparency in all interactions. Active listening without interruptions enhances effective care planning and decision-making.
- Using quality websites, make a post describing the role of a member of the interprofessional healthcare team (excluding a nurse, nurse practitioner, or physician) and how you as a nurse anticipate you will interact with this profession in your nursing practice.(217 words)
Pharmacists are essential members of an interdisciplinary healthcare team. They can transform pharmacists’ drug expertise into a valuable asset and resource for physicians, improve patient health outcomes, and maximize healthcare utilization. They assist patients with medication management, recognizing hazardous or inappropriate medication usage, medication counseling, and improving a patient’s awareness of their prescription regimens in order to improve their overall quality of life (Gill & Macmillan, 2017). They are skilled in drug information, and educating other healthcare providers and patients or communities on the drugs is crucial for improved health outcomes. Compliance with medications is also encouraged.
Nurses interact every day with pharmacists. Administration of medication close monitoring of adverse events or allergic reactions to the drugs allows us to liaise with pharmacists and establish an effective therapeutic regime based on the patient’s needs. Nurses should communicate with the pharmacist about drug frequencies, dosages, and effectiveness. Collaboration between nurses and pharmacists is successful and efficient in addressing many prescription disputes before they cause harm, minimizing the likelihood of adverse drug events, and enhancing medication safety (Gill & Macmillan, 2017). A collaborative relationship between the nurse and pharmacist enhances safety and adequate interventions to gather a medication history. This resulted in a significant decrease in medication errors and an increase in the accuracy of the admission medication list.
Sherwood, G., & Barnsteiner, J. (Eds.). (2021). Quality and safety in nursing: A competency approach to improving outcomes. John Wiley & Sons.
Gill, N., & Macmillan, K. (2017). INTER- AND INTRAPROFESSIONAL
COLLABORATION: Learnings from Family Health Teams.
- Why is advancing your degree and knowledge important for nursing as a profession? Explain and give several reasons.
- Understanding of nursing as a discipline and profession
- Core competencies for health profession’s education and looked at nursing informatics and how that area has been guided by development within the profession
- Discuss the work of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Committee Initiative on the Future of Nursing and the Institute of Medicine research that led to the IOM report, “Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health.”
- Review the Institute of Medicine (IOM) report: “The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health,” focusing on the following sections: Transforming Practice, Transforming Education, and Transforming Leadership
- The role of research in advancing nursing and healthcare
- Review the Institute of Medicine (IOM) report: “The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health
- IOM report: The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health
- Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health
- Evidence-based proposal on innovation in nursing practice
- Discuss How Geopolitical And Phenomenological Place Influence The Context Of A Population Or Community Assessment And Intervention