Advanced Information Technology and the Application of Technology C-791
A. Discuss and analyze health information systems by doing the following:
1. Summarize advantages and disadvantages of a system, including the following:
2. Describe how a system will affect patient care and documentation.
3. Explain how using a system to access information will affect the quality and delivery of nursing care and patient outcomes.
B. Discuss how a system will benefit the organization by addressing the following:
1. Provide two ways that quality improvement (QI) data collected from a system can lead to measurable improvement in health care services and the health status of targeted patient groups.
2. Explain how a system will meet HITECH and HIPAA security standards and regulations, including the following:
• data storage integrity
• data backup and recovery
3. Explain how a system will protect patient privacy.
4. Describe how adopting a system will improve organizational efficiency and productivity by addressing the following factors to the organization, including the following:
• standardizing documentation
• reducing waste
• increasing productivity
• human and capital resource
C. Describe four essential stakeholder roles needed to form an interdisciplinary team to work on a system implementation, including the following:
• each team member’s title in the organization
• each team member’s role in the implementation of the health information system
• each team member’s expertise and how it contributes to the success of the project
D. Discuss your plan for evaluating the success of the implementation of a system by incorporating two professional organization standards.
E. Acknowledge sources, using in-text citations and references, for content that is quoted, paraphrased, or summarized.
A. Include each of the following in your multimedia presentation:
• 10–15 slides
• approximately 5–7 bullets per slide
• presenter notes (talking points of the presentation; approximately 1–2 minutes per slide)
• references (if applicable)
Note: Prezi will not be accepted nor any other presentation that could potentially provide identity-revealing information about the evaluator or student. A well-organized and professional multimedia presentation will include the appropriate use of text, layout, and graphics (etc.).
Note: Include presenter notes for slides as appropriate to fully cover the level of explanation, analysis, and discussion necessary.
B. Discuss how a health information system impacts patient-centered care.
C. Discuss how a common health information system supports quality care.
D. Evaluate the impact of a common health information system by doing the following:
1. Describe how a health information system affects the nursing process.
2. Describe how a health information system can support a culture of safety.
3. Describe how human factors can lead to errors, near misses, and adverse events.
4. Describe how clinical decision support (CDS) of the electronic health record (EHR) provides clinicians, staff, and patients with biomedical knowledge and person-specific information.
5. Describe how compliance with HIPAA Security and Privacy rules in health information systems protect individuals’ health information.
E. Consider the implications of two emerging or current industry technology by doing the following:
1. Evaluate each technology’s usefulness in clinical practice, research, education, or administration.
2. Discuss how each technology generates data that supports the use of nursing informatics to improve healthcare.
F. Acknowledge sources, using in-text citations and references, for content that is quoted, paraphrased, or summarized.