A. Prepare your reflection essay (suggested length of no more than of 3 pages) of the values and ethics of a public policy issue by doing the following:
1. Analyze a health or nursing profession public policy issue that impacts a group of people and requires a policy change.
a. Discuss why you selected this public policy issue.
Note: If you select a local policy, be sure your discussion reflects how the policy will affect more than a single unit, department, or organization.
b. Discuss the relevance of the public policy issue to the health or the nursing profession, using two pieces of academically appropriate literature from the last five years.
c. Describe the financial impact of the public policy on an organization or on a community.
2. Analyze how your values impact your position on the public policy issue.
a. Discuss the ethical principle (e.g., autonomy, beneficence, non-maleficence, justice) or theory that underpins your perspective.
B. Develop a policy brief (suggested length of no more than 6 pages) for the public policy issue discussed in part A in which you do the following:
1. Identify the decision maker (name and title) who will receive the policy brief.
a. Explain why the public policy issue requires the decision maker’s attention, using relevant nursing research from the last five years to support your position.
2. Discuss the main challenges of addressing the selected public policy issue.
3. Discuss the primary options and/or interventions for the decision maker, including why they are tangible.
4. Propose a persuasive course of action for the decision maker, including ways to avoid the challenges identified in part B2.
5. Discuss how you will evaluate the success of your policy brief (top-down approach).
C. Create a plan (suggested length of no more than 3 pages) for working with an organization or a community to address the public policy issue analyzed in part A by doing the following:
1. Identify an organization or community that has expressed interest in your selected health or nursing profession public policy issue.
a. Summarize evidence supporting why the organization or community has expressed interest in the selected public policy issue.
2. Identify three CBPR principles you could use to work with the organization or community to address a policy change for the public policy issue.
a. Explain how you could approach and collaborate with the organization or community.
b. Discuss how the goal of the community or organization aligns with your goal for the selected public policy issue.
c. Discuss the action steps that need to be taken to achieve your goal from part C2b.
d. Discuss the possible roles/responsibilities of the community or organization members, including problem-solving and capacity-building roles.
e. Discuss key elements of developing a collaborative evaluation plan, using CBPR principles.
f. Discuss how you will evaluate the success of your community or organization plan (bottom-up approach).
D. Analyze (suggested length of 1 page) the strengths and challenges of the top-down and bottom-up approaches in achieving policy change(s) to support your selected public policy issue by doing the following:
1. Discuss the strengths of each approach to implement change for the selected public policy issue.
2. Discuss the challenges of each approach to implement change for the selected public policy issue.
3. Discuss which approach you would recommend as the most effective to address the selected public policy issue.
E. When you use sources, include all in-text citations and references in APA format.